Sofa Guide: Five Key Questions
We love to sprawl out on them today, with the best ones offering room for the whole family to lounge on in comfort. Measuring up first is key, not just the intended space but the doors and corridors your sofa needs to get through too. Most are made to order, so check delivery times and if assembly is required. The final price can change considerably depending on which upholstery you choose – something to bear in mind when shopping around.
1) Homelegance Tufted Accent Sectional Sofa | 2) Iconic Home Da Vinci Sectional Sofas | 3) Baxton Studio Panos Sectional Sofa | 4) Abbyson Living Juliette Sectional Sofa | 5) Baxton Studio Callidora Sectional Sofa | 6) CorLiving PPO-801-Z Oakland Sectional| 7) Poundex F7614 Bobkona Toffy Linen | 8) DHP Emily Linen Chaise Lounger | 9) Ashley Furniture Signature Design | 10) Poundex Bobkona Winden Sectional Sofa | 11) Modern and Elegant Kid’s Chaise Lounge | 12) Mid-Century Modern Futon Sofa Bed | 13) Homelegance Sectional Reclining Sofa | 14) Poundex Bokona Leather 2 Piece Sectional | 15) Kardiel Cubix Sectional Sofa | 16) ACME Lyssa Rev. Chaise Sectional | 17) The Thick Cotton Ikea Ektorp 2 2 Sofa Cover | 18) Mayfair Slipcovered Sofa With Chaise | 19) DHP Emily Linen Chaise Lounger | 20) Ashley Furniture Signature Design Sofa Chaise | 21) Layton Futon Sofa Bed Sectional | 22) Pulaski Rivera Sofa | 23) Homelegance Phelps Contemporary Sectional Sofa | 24) Iconic Home Da Vinci Tufted Sectional Sofa | 25) Baxton Studio Orland Sectional Sofa Set | 26) ELLE Décor Vallauris Chaise Lounge | 27) The Dark Gray Ikea Ektorp Chaise Cover |
There’s no two ways about it, buying a sofa can be a difficult task – especially if you’re not quite sure what you want. From types of sofa and the materials they’re made of to ensuring you’ll be able to get the finished product into the house, there is a lot to consider when it comes to selecting one of your home’s most integral pieces of furniture.
So this Ultimate Guide covers absolutely everything you need to know about buying a sofa – there’s a lot to think about, but if it’s not in here it’s not worth knowing.
Who’s this Guide for?
Everybody of course – surely everyone needs a sofa at some point in their lives? Whether you’re planning an expensive centrepiece for your dream home, or just looking for a place to park yourself in front of the TV, we’ve detailed everything you might need to know about sofas. So when it comes to making that investment, though it can be a complex choice, you’re as comfortable as possible about making your decision.
Five Key Questions
What’s best for me? is probably the biggest question of them all. The kind of seating solution that’s right for you can depend on any number of factors, so the easiest way to start is to offer you a list of questions that will help you decide what elements of a sofa or suite are most important to you.
- Are there any pre-existing themes or colors that your new sofa has to fit in with, or will your sofa dictate how your refreshed room will eventually look?
If so, consider the style and colour choice. Be sensitive to the lighting and the general ambience of the room, and if in doubt, keep it classic – trends come and go, but a neutral sofa could see you through many periods of redecoration.
- What kind of use will the sofa likely be subjected to?
Does it need to withstand excitable children, or be durable enough to live in a home full of pets? If yes, consider a very durable fabric and higher-density sofa cushions in order to get as much life out of your sofa as possible.
- Do you suffer from back pain or any allergies?
Decide which elements are the most important to you and base your search around those factors. Is back pain, or are allergies important, or are you just desperate for a sofa that’s prime for curling up on?
- Will it fit?
Lastly, and most crucial of all, you need to ensure you invest in a sofa that can physically fit in your room, and can get into its designated space in the first instance. Follow our measuring guidelines before you purchase to be certain that your new furniture will fit.
- How much do you want to spend?
And finally of course, the price. But in fact it’s not so much about what you want to pay, as making sure you get what you pay for. Everybody has a budget, but whatever the price it’s not always easy to see at first glance, or even first sit, whether your desired sofa is a great deal or a one season wonder. This is especially true if you’re shopping online.
So remember whatever the price, knowledge is power – hence this guide. Use it to decide what you want, understand descriptions or ask the right questions. And if you’re buying online, always remember to do your research on the retailer: check independent reviews, pay particular attention to delivery and customer service and always trust your instinct.