How to Choose a Lawn Mowers
Gas lawn mowers are a great asset for any home with a lawn needing mowing and this would represent most homes. Therefore, these nifty little gadgets are definitely of great use to any gardener.
Our review offers a detailed analysis of 16 of the best gas lawn mowers along with a resourceful buyer’s guide to make your selection an easier process because we understand how difficult it is to pick the best for your needs with thousands of brands out there.
- Snapper 12AVB2A2707 21″ Self Propelled Gas Powered Mower with Side Discharge, Mulching, Rear Bag and Rear High Wheel, Dual-lever Height Adjustment with 6 Cutting Positions
- Earthwise 50214 14-Inch 8-Amp Side Discharge/Mulching Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler Electric Start XTX OHV, 3-in-1 Discharge Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower – 4.0Ah Battery and Charger Kit
- Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower
- Poulan Pro 961320098 Poulan Pro 961320093 PR550N21RH3 Briggs 550ex Side Discharge/Mulch/Bag 3-in-1 Hi-Wheel Push Mower in 21-Inch Deck, 11-inch wheels
- McLane 20-Inch 4.0 HP Honda Gas Powered Self-Propelled 7-Blade Front-Throw Reel Mower With Grass Catcher
- Lawn Mower Wheels Murray 21″ Low with 450 Series Engine, Red
- Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower
- 21 in. Walk-Behind Manual Push Gas Mower with KOHLER 675OHV Engine
- Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Gas Powered 3-N-1 Push Lawn Mower With High Rear Wheels
- Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower With Grass Bag
- Poulan Pro 961120134 PR500N21SH Briggs 500ex Side Discharge/Mulch 2-in-1 Hi-Wheel Push Mower in 21-Inch Deck, 11-inch wheels
- Lawn-Boy 17732 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler XTX OHV, 3-in-1 Discharge Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- WORX 14-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower with Easy-Start Feature, Removable Battery, and Grass Collection Bag – WG775
- Troy-Bilt TB220 159cc 21-inch FWD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
What is Your Lawn Like?
Depending on the type of lawn you have, there are certain mower options that will work better for you. Here are a few reference points to help clarify.
- If your lawn is less than 2000 square feet you should consider a reel mower, unless your grass is thick and tall.
- If your entire lawn is within reach of a 100′ extension cord you should consider an electric mower.
- Cordless and gas mowers are ideal for property sizes up 15,000 square feet.
- For areas with rough terrain, you should consider a lawn mower with high rear wheels.
- If there are many hills in the area you’re mowing, a self-propelled, gas-powered lawn mower may be right for you.
- For areas with many curves or obstacles, a self-propelled gas mower is a good choice. The front-wheel drive provides more manoeuvrability than rear-wheel drive.
- If you’re cutting around trees, shrubs, and gardens, a compact lawn mower ideal.
Gas Lawn Mowers
Known for their strong performance, gas-powered lawn mowers are recommended for cutting through tall, thick grass and are ideal for large lawns.
- All gas mowers available at Canadian Tire feature 4-stroke engines, which run quieter than 2-stroke engines and cause less pollution.
- Because the oil and gasoline remain separate, the chore of pre-mixing is eliminated.
- Gas-powered lawn mowers require periodic maintenance in order to keep operating at peak efficiency.
- QPT (Quiet Power Technology™) by Briggs & Stratton® is up to 60% quieter and you never need to change the oil. Look for the technology under our exclusive Yardworks brand.
Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
A self-propelled gas lawn mower can reduce mowing time and fatigue by eliminating the strain of pushing the mower. This can be a wise choice if you have health concerns or don’t want to stay out in the sun too long.
Three self-propelled systems are available:
- Front Wheel Drive (FWD) offers better manoeuvrability around trees and flower beds, as well as good traction on flat terrain.
- Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) offers great traction on all terrains and thick grass.
- All-Wheel Drive (AWD) offers the best traction on hilly and uneven terrain.
Electric Lawn Mowers
Electric lawn mowers are lightweight, effortless to start and easy to maintain. They’re ideal if each corner of your yard can be reached with a 100′ extension cord.
- Electric lawn mowers run quietly, require no fuel, and offer many of the features offered by gas and cordless models.
- Most corded electric models have 8- to 12-amp motors.
- Push-Button Start: No pull-chain. Just push the button to get started.
- No Gas & Oil Mixtures: Don’t worry about complicated (and messy) fuel and oil mixtures. Simply plug in and it’s ready to use.
- 50% Less Noise: Perform your yard work with significantly less noise compared to a gas-powered engine. Your neighbours (and ears) will thank you.
Photo Gallery of the How to Choose a Lawn Mowers