How to Buy the Best Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
Below we have listed the reviews for the top 10 cordless lawn mowers for 2017. Choose and buy now.
- GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower
- EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower – 4.0Ah Battery and Charger Kit
- Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower
- WORX 14-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower with Easy-Start Feature, Removable Battery, and Grass Collection Bag – WG775
- BLACK+DECKER MTC220 20V Lithium Ion 3-in-1 Trimmer/Edger and Mower, 12″
- EGO 21″ 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Mower (Battery and Charger Not Included)
- GreenWorks 25322 G-MAX 40V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower, (1) 4AH Battery and a Charger Included
- WORX 20-Volt GT 2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Head and Single Line Feed – WG160
- 16″ ONE+ 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower (Battery and Charger Not Included)
- BLACK+DECKER CM2060C 60V Max Power Swap Mower, 20″
- WORX WG772 56V Lithium-Ion 3-in-1 Cordless Mower with IntelliCut, 19-Inch, 2 Batteries and Charger Included
In many ways a cordless electric lawn mower gives you the best of both worlds when you are looking to select the best lawn mower.
With a cordless lawn mower you get the flexibility and freedom of movement associated with gas powered lawn mower models, but the quietness and environmental soundness found in the the electric lawn mower category.
How Does a Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Work?
The essence of the cordless lawn mower is that it is operated by a rechargeable battery. So you’ll often see one of these models referred to as a battery powered lawn mower, a battery operated lawn mower or a rechargeable mower.
The battery provides the power to spin the cutting blade and, in self-propelled models, to drive the front or rear wheels.
Size and Power of Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers
Cordless electric lawn mowers come with 12, 24 or 36 volt battery packs. Some of the leading brands are even introducing 40 volt batteries. Although the amount of power each battery size can actually deliver depends on other variables, such as grass conditions and the design of the mower, generally a battery with higher voltage will get you more power and a longer run time.
All things being equal, run times are very approximately as follows:
- 12 volt battery 30 – 45 minutes
- 24 volt battery 45- 75 minutes
- 36 volt battery up to about 90 minutes
Cordless electric mowers typically have cutting widths between 18 and 20 inches.
A model like the Black & Decker SPCM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt cordless mower should be able to cut up to about one-third of an acre on a single charge.
Types of Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers
Cordless electric mowers vary according to:
- Battery size
- Whether they are self-propelled or not
- Grass discharge options
- Cutting widths.
In self-propelled models the battery drives the wheels as well as the blade. So, these models take the effort out of mowing, especially if you have large areas to contend with.
How do Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers Compare to Other Types of Lawn Mowers?
Cordless mowers have all the advantages that corded electric lawn mowers have over gas mowers – and then some.
They are good for the environment, good for your relations with your neighbors (they’re quiet) and very easy to use and operate.
You need to make sure they are properly charged, but other than that they’ll work on demand with little in the way of upkeep to be done.
Of course they are not as powerful as gas powered mowers and are not suitable for cutting long and/or very lush grass.
They have the obvious major advantage over corded models that you can use them anywhere without the need for an electric power source.
On the downside, though, even the best models won’t run for more than a couple of hours at most and re-charging fully can take up to 12 hours.